A Billion dreams shattered!!

As like many in India, I'm also a great follower of Cricket. It doesn't get bigger than a World cup. With so much of hype surrounding the MIB (not the SNMP's Management Information Base :), this stands for the Men In Blue, a term coined for Team India based on their jersey color), I was waiting for the matches. Being an ardent fan of Sachin Tendulkar, I expected fireworks from this Little Master blaster, especially with 'minnows' like Bangladesh and Bermuda around.

Alas, what a disappointment! Not in my wildest dream that I imagined our favorite MIB will crash out of the first round.. The defeat against Bangladesh set the tone for the team. They never looked like willing to win the match at all. If Dravid and Co thought of just being at the park will ensure a win against the 'minnows' (read Bangladesh!), they are mightly mistaken. For the Bangladesh team had already 'upset' the strong Newzealand in the warm-up games.. and they did have a shrewd coach in Dave Whatmore (what more can this guy do??).. He has been the man behind the SriLanka's 1996 world cup success. He made the Lankans believe in their abilities and instincts and this paved way for a glorious worldcup win for the team. I think I'm not exaggerating the contribution of this man in the renaissance of the Srilankan cricket.

Ok, coming back to the cup of woes (from a Indian standpoint). They did start off well by winning the warm up matches, quite convincingly at that! But what went wrong? Poor planning? over confidence? Whatever be it, the world cup campaign is almost over for these guys.. A dream shattered!! or should I say a Billion dreams shattered!!!

Of course, there will be lot of 'retrospection' going on.. Many heads are set to stroll.. Parliament will renew the discussion of the Foreign coach and so on.. Media (both the print and electronic) will get a lot of things to ponder upon.. with 'expert' opinions going across and lot more scenes. These are interesting days ahead for the media in particular..

But, as I'd like to see it, there is always a good thing in every disaster.. Of course, what does the Indian team crashing out of the worldcup so soon, mean to me.. It might just let me have my own peaceful sleep :-) If I say that my interest in this world cup has waned, its not a exaggeration. Well, the Indian cricket has also lost a good fan!

Anyways, MIBs: see you back in India soon.. Have a happy journey back home :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turbulent times

Zoho at 25 - My Journey -- Part 1

Revenue loss...