Compulsory Voting

Gujarat government has announced that the citizens have to compulsorily cast their votes in the upcoming local body elections. Now, this is a serious stuff and a very hot topic for debate. Our media, not the one to shy away from such 'sensational' stuffs have all gone ga-ga over this proposal.

At one end, they complain of poor voter turn outs in the elections and on the other hand, they call the compulsory voting as a 'force feeding' of democracy. Are there any better way to ensure proper voter turn outs?

For one, I think, making voting compulsory, although sounds rigid, may be actually something good for the citizens. Even after 60 long years of democracy, the citizens are yet to realize the power of their votes. A single vote can change the government itself. I think, some times it is not a bad idea to be rigid. Much like the way mothers force-feed their babies, although much to their dislike. But, she knows, the feeding is essential for the kid's growth. Likewise, this force-feeding of democracy is required to make people realize their value in the society, rather nation.

As far as I'm concerned, I have not debunked any elections till now and ensure that I cast my vote. This is true with my parents and wife as well. I ensure everyone in my family do cast their votes at the elections. This is not merely a duty of us citizens but rather a responsibility that we own.

I have seen a lot of people feeling negative about casting their votes, they just whine a lot about the inefficiency in our voting/election systems. There is also a group that says that, there is any way bogus voting, ie., someone is anyway going to vote on my behalf, so why take the pain to go to the booth! Well, if you cannot spare a few minutes (or hours, depending on the crowd) to cast your vote, then there is no use cribbing about the politicians, who are eventually elected. Your one vote would have made a difference. Each drop constitutes a ocean. So, abstaining from vote is not an option. I welcome this move by the Gujarat government to be bold enough to amend such a rule. Let us wait and watch how effective this turns out to be.

I pray for its success for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turbulent times

Zoho at 25 - My Journey -- Part 1

Revenue loss...